In 1949 the San Joaquin Chapter of the American Institute of Architects was formed to represent the growing number of Architects within Fresno, Kings, Madera and Tulare Counties.
In 1949 World War II had been over for about four (4) years and California was experiencing significant population growth and expansion. Between the years 1940 and 1950, the population across the United States grew by 14%, while the growth in California increased by 53%, indicating a significant population shift into California. For comparison purposes, Los Angeles County grew by 49%, while Fresno County grew by 55% and Madera County by 59%.
California was experimenting with the idea of "freeways" in order to allow the population to travel and to allow for easy commutes to and from the work place. This allowed our once slumberous communities, with ample farm land, to begin the transformation into larger cityscapes with the making of new communities. The counties reverberated with the sounds of construction activity and the smells of orchards being burned to make room for new growth.
Some 60 years later, our thoughts and opinions on what we now see as urban sprawl and energy consumption have changed. Our collective understanding and experiences with modernity and led us into the newer precepts of environmental conservatism, where the social fabric and landscape is being reflected into the topic of ‘Green Building’ and with an ecological sustainable footprint. Regardless of spirit and changing winds of public opinion, AIASJ implicitly supports the understanding of good design in architecture and the quality of design composition within the its contextual fabric.